Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Living on purpose.

I wish Carmelita was a massage therapist. Just feeling the "need" for a neck massage after a long day at work.

Got to thinking about the work I do. Is this the career path I was thinking of when I endured Nursing School? What is it that gets me out of bed and down the road to my place of employment each day? Is it just the paycheck? Is it because the work itself is rewarding? Was I coming up with all these questions because I had too much caffeine this morning?

As I went from one meeting to another today, I walked through the Middle School campus during lunch today. As I walked through, I was swarmed by the kids who know me ... "Nurse Ann! Nurse Ann!".... At one point I had about 10 girls around me each popping in with a question or comment. As I asked each one how their summer was or how school was going, and as I looked into their young faces and sweet eyes, I knew I was being given a look at my purpose in working there. It wasn't about coordinating health care for kids or talking with doctors about medications. It wasn't about teaching CPR and First Aid to staff members. I was overwhelmed that I was looking at my primary mission for being a school nurse: Connection with young lives.

It is an incredible privilege to be able to love my students. I have become quite aware that many of them have really tough lives. There are times where I am given the opportunity to be the only one to ever show them they are worthy of love. I might be the only one to ever show them that love! Certainly for many, I am the only person who may ever show them Jesus. It nearly brings me to tears to know that God has given me this incredible mission. He has entrusted to me these amazing young people. I get to see them and love them and teach them that they have greatness in them.

I'm grateful for my job for what it provides for my family - money, benefits, a great schedule that keeps me home in the summer. I am humbled by God's purpose for me to be there. What a privilege. What a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment